Friday, September 10, 2010

Fertility Juju

Trying to conceive has been a complete emotional roller coaster. I would assume this is the case for most women/couples in this position. You go through a whole host of emotions, hormonal fluxes, frustrations, elations, and desperations during this process.  No matter how long or short, I feel like the struggles are the same. 

At some point, you become desperate. Desperate for comfort, for good news, for distraction, sometimes just desperate for something new to focus on. 

Somewhere along the way I started researching fertility symbols, omens, myths, practices, etc. I spoke to some friends that have lots of worldly knowledge in those areas, and got all KINDS of fun information. 

Fish-- 
The fish is pretty universal fertility symbol. For a fertility charm, it should be a non-violent fish (that's right, no knife wielding gangsta fish welcome folks) and not have sharp or pointy fins. Koi are a pretty common example of a fertility fish. 


Luckily my amazingly talented friend Julie over at SilverSmyth.com welcomed the challenge of creating a custom fertility fish charm for me. It's the most awesome thing EVAH and has been such a source of comfort hanging solidly around my neck. I found a fertility chant/prayer/poem for the back, which ended up being waaaay too long, but she surprised me and got the most important part engraved on the back. SilverSmyth FOR. THE. WIN. 




Mother of Pearl--
Mother of Pearl has long been a symbol of fertility and rebirth. It is formed on the insides of oyster shells and aids in the natural pearl making process. Most things I've read refer to MOP "disks" but I'm assuming MOP in any form would work. About the time I set out for a really special mother of pearl something for my fertility charm collection, my grandmother gave me some old jewelry. At the very bottom of the box was a single mother of pearl cuff link. Perfect.


Throughout history cultures have look to everything from cats, to rabbits to frogs (oh my) even peacocks for fertilty. Cats and rabbits because they are so ridiculously fertile (bunnies can have a litter ever 28 days) and frogs/toads/and other swimmy slimy things because of their correlation to water. 


Ahhhhh water. Water is the ultimate fertility symbol. It gives life, washes away the old and sprouts the new. Provides nourishment for every living aspect of our world. For centuries people have acknowledged the link between water and fertility.


I live in the desert. 


Then my house flooded.... 
and then it flooded again, in the same week....
and then it rained BUCKET LOADS, and guess what??


My house flooded again. 


BIG TIME. 


It's been a water filled week, here's hoping something will come out of it besides....well.....water. 


** You can follow Julie on Twitter @SilverSmyth she does AMAZING work, or you can check her out here.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about the house. What a difficult time, but what I really wanted to say was:

    Baby!! Baby!! Baby!! Baby!! Baby!! Baby!! Baby!! Baby!! Baby!! Baby!! Baby!! Baby!! Baby!! Baby!! Baby!! Baby!! Baby!! Baby!! Baby!! Baby!! Baby!! Baby!! Baby!! Baby!! Baby!! Baby!! Baby!! Baby!! Baby!! Baby!!

    The thought of YOU being a mom? What an amazing opportunity/soon-to-be-reality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan-- SO super sweet and brought a HUGE smile to my face! Thank you SO much!

    ReplyDelete